Monday, 2 June 2014

Stories from the streets : Kek Lok Si Street photo with new Fujinon XF 18 - 55


This post will be on my street photography in Kek Lok Si, Penang,Malaysia with my new Fujifilm X series family  member. I added the Fujinon XF 18 - 55 f2.8-f4 into my lens arsenal. This post will not be a review but a personal experience with the lens.
Fujinon XF 18 - 55 f2.4 - f4 are suppose to be the kit lens for my Fuji X-E1 but
when I bought my Fuji X-E1, I pair it with the Fujinon XF 35mm 1.4 instead of that kit lens.
Then, I think a zoom lens will increase my flexibility for event shooting and that thought ended with the purchase of this Fujinon XF 18- 55.
This lens will provide wide angle of around 28mm and tele of around 85mm.
The lens is a f2.8 - f4 hence when I shoot event, I would prefer to shoot it as a constant f4 lens.
However, f4 is actually quite slow but it will get the job done. Of course you can get one extra stop when you shoot at 18mm. This lens also have image stabilization which are quite effective.
It is believe it can provide up to four stops but I am not sure about it,
how ever I am confident to shoot it at 1/30sec or even push till 1/15sec at 55mm with the stabilization turn on. Still it is a risky move to shoot at 1/15 hence most of the time I stop at 1/30sec or higher.




Next, the significant difference of the lens will be its auto-focus capability.
The autofocus are definitely faster compare to the Fujinon XF 35mm 1.4 and they are silent.
The faster and silent operation of this lens are suppose to be due to the linear motor used in the lens.
I am not sure how much faster specifically compare to Fujinon XF 35mm 1.4  but you will definitely notice the difference once you used it.



The lens operation is definitely silence. I can confirm that because after I am used to using Fujinon XF 35mm 1.4, I actually used the sound of the auto focus operation to tell me when the focus is lock but when I am using Fujinon XF 18-55, I cannot tell when the focus is lock because the entire operation is silent (I silent the beep sound). I know you can see the green square but before that, I was used to using the sound as signal for focus lock. Anyway, I used the green square for indication of focus lock after that.






Anyway,after a using it in quite a number of shoot, I think it will fit in my lens arsenal just well.
The autofocus is faster compare to Fujinon XF 35mm 1.4 but I hope it can be faster. 
Maybe I need to change the body to get more speed.
Anyway, enjoy the rest of the photo.



















That all for this post.
There will be more work with this lens coming soon
stay tuned and have a great day ahead.

4 comments:

  1. Really nice shots, Meng! They make me wish I was there!

    All the best,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is my first street test with my 18 - 55. Penang always welcome you here :)
      Meng

      Delete
  2. Hi Meng,

    Thanks! Who knows, I might be there one day, and if I am, I'll definitely look you up! You should come by NYC. There's a lot to see here.

    Take care,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Patrick,Sure you can,nowadays is so easy to travel abroad.I will if i have the chance and definitely fight for the chance
    good days
    Meng

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...